Vertical dimension is basically used to indicate the superior-inferior relationships of the maxilla and the mandible which is used to determine the lower length of the face. Vertical dimension is maintained by occlusion of the teeth and balanced tonic muscle contraction. Aesthetic and phonetic assessments are considered for the measurement and selection of VDO (Vertical Dimension of Occlusion).
In relation with aesthetics, an approximately measured VDO will normally appear as a usual configuration of the patient’s nose, lips and chin.
In relation with phonetics, the two most common sounds used to devise a patient’s VDO are Sibilant (made with tongue towards the edge of the teeth by directing a stream of air, examples- consonants at the beginning of the words sip, zip,chip) and fricative (Consonants produced by positioning two articulators together, example- lower lip against the upper lip in the case of M) sounds.
- The center bottom of the nose and the lower tip of the mandible in the center was marked for reference for measuring the distance at VDR and VDO.
- First the VDR (Vertical Dimension at Rest) is measured using a ruler with the reference that was marked earlier with the mandible at rest.
- Next the VDO (Vertical Dimension at Occlusion) is measured similar to VDR but with the teeth in centric occlusion.
- The difference between VDR and VDO gives FWS (Free Way Space).
Effects of Having an Inaccurate VDO
- A patient having an excessive VDO will appear as if the patient has stuffed something into their mouth and the patient may face difficulties with closing their lips.A patient having a deficient VDO will appear as if the patient’s mouth has collapsed because the lower length of their face is decreased as the chin appears too close to the nose. Consequently the patient would be
- over-closing their lips. This is mostly seen in edentulous and partially
- If the VDO is altered like mentioned in the previous points, there will be severe discomfort to both TMJ (Temporo mandibular Joints) and the muscles of mastication.
- If the VDO is not measured accurately, the joint of the mandible will be strained.
When is Vertical Dimension Used
VDO is used to correct the lower length and the dimensions of the occluded teeth after extraction of teeth, restoration or any other dental procedures.
Used to improve the aesthetic look of the lower length of the face.
Vertical dimension is now being used in Prosthetic dentistry.
Why choose Pearl32 Dental Spa
If you have any problems related to the lower length of your face, then you can visit us at any Pearl32 Dental Spa clinics branches located in Alwarthirunagar, Anna Nagar and Saligramam to consult with any of our highly trained and professional dentists in Chennai.
Pearl32 Dental Spa has really good doctors who can find a solution to your dental problems and are approachable. Apart from providing world-class services, all our services are priced minimally and affordable to everyone.